Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cupcakes

I made cupcakes yesterday for a co-worker's birthday. I thought I had taken a photo, but I can't figure out where it went so I may add it later.

Edit: Found it!



My cooking results are notoriously all over the map, so no one was really expecting me to bring these in. lol But I do better with baking! These were little Boston Creme Pie cupcakes inspired by a recipe from a book of cupcakes my mom bought me recently and were a huge hit! Most people ended up eating them with a fork, though, just fyi.

The book - The Cupcake Bible - has a lot of themed decorations that are very inspiring! I kept turning the pages and squealing at the cuteness and creativity. I'm a beginner at decorating so I don't want anything that's complicated yet.  A lot of the ideas start with a boxed mix, which is a big complaint in the comments. But the book says right up front that you should experiment until you find your favorite basic "go to" cupcake recipe and then freeze batches of them for impromptu decorating sessions. (I made this batch the night before, popped them in the freezer overnight and then got up a bit earlier to frost and assemble them.) There are a number of from scratch recipes included to try and I already have my eye on a few other cupcakes I want to do, particularly from the "Chocolate Overload" chapter!


16 comments:

  1. I lve cupcake recipes. I also like finding them on pinterest. I am thinking about looking for that book of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound like really yummy cupcakes. I like cooking better than baking. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, cupcakes! I do love them. My hubby makes cake pops that are super yummy, too. I'd like to try some bostom creme cupcakes; will have to look up some recipes.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like delicious cupcakes. My cooking is more edible than my baking though I love to devoured baked goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out Betty Crocker's website for super yummy, easy (from the box though) recipes! My favorite so far are the Mai Tai Cupcakes!!

    Visiting from A-Z!

    www.thedrunkrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cupcakes look good. It's been so long since I've done any baking, I may have to dig out my mixing bowl and spoons now.

    Hello from the A-Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boston Cream cupcakes!!!! Where do I show up!?!?! YUM!!
    Connie
    A to Z Challenge.
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cup cakes look good to me!
    A to Z Challenge
    http://unclemacsgardenshed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You both had me and lost me at Boston Cream Pie cupcakes. They sound delish! I will have to checkout that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cupcakes!!! Who doesn't love a cupcake? Mmm, these look delicious, and I can see why you might have to eat them with a fork. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. finally... someone else like me who has already skipped a day! :)
    i used to love cupcakes at birthday parties i attended as a kid... stuff love them, just not as much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look yummy. Dropping by from AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look good! I am a big fan of cupcakes, and pretty much anything chocolate : ) Just stopping by from the A-Z. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look sooo good with the chocolate on top My AtoZ challenge

    ReplyDelete
  15. More power to you! I don't bake, but I have become a wannabe cupcake addict, I think from watching Cupcake Wars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so envious of bakers. I'm terrible at it. And doesn't help having a child allergic to eggs....

    ReplyDelete